Solar Power World, the solar industry’s leading business-to-business publication, today announces the release of the 2020 Top Solar Contractors list. The Top Solar Contractors list is the most recognized annual listing of solar contractors in the United States working in the utility, commercial and residential markets.
“The Solar Power World team is so pleased to highlight more than 400 companies on the 2020 Top Solar Contractors list, especially during this unprecedented time,” said Kelsey Misbrener, senior editor of Solar Power World. “All contractors featured on the 2020 list reported strong 2019 installation numbers and are continuing to stand tall this year.”
This year’s Top Solar Contractors class is facing obstacles unseen in this industry before. The first quarter of 2020 was the country’s largest ever, with 3.6 GW of new solar capacity added. But COVID-19 will show its impact before the year’s end. Wood Mackenzie is forecasting the residential and non-residential markets will decrease 25% and 38%, respectively, in year-over-year installation volumes this year.
“Throughout the data gathering process for the 2020 Top Solar Contractors list, we talked to many companies reporting busier schedules than before the coronavirus epidemic,” Misbrener said. “Coupled with an increased customer desire to add storage, we believe the installation market will continue to stay busy all year. Companies may be working remotely and a bit leaner, but the solar industry will push through.”
Over one-third of companies on the 2020 Top Solar Contractors list are also featured on the exclusive 2020 Top Solar + Storage Installers list, a 50-company increase over the inaugural Top Solar + Storage Installers list in 2019. More solar installation companies are getting involved with energy storage, especially in wildfire-prone California, which experiences public safety power shutoffs when battery backup is often the only way to continue electricity distribution. Contractors are offering additional services, such as remote sales and drone inspections, to stay nimble and relevant in this changing environment.
Companies on the Top Solar Contractors list are grouped and listed by specific service (developers, electrical subcontractors, EPCs, installation subcontractors, rooftop installers), markets (commercial, residential, utility) and states by 2019 installed capacity (in kWDC).
Here are some ways to interact with the 2020 Top Solar Contractors list:
- Go to the web-based 2020 Top Solar Contractors list
- Read all of our Top Solar Contractor features from the magazine
Lists of contractors by market:
Lists of contractors by service:
- Top Solar Developers
- Top Solar EPCs
- Top Electrical Subcontractors
- Top Installation Subcontractors
- Top Rooftop Contractors
- Top Solar + Storage Installers
Individual lists of contractors in all 50 states and 4 districts/territories:
Other interesting facts about the 2020 Top Solar Contractors list:
- The 2020 Top Solar Contractors class installed solar in all 50 states, Washington, D.C., and two U.S. territories: Guam and Puerto Rico.
- 90% of 2020 Top Solar Contractors work in the commercial market; 77% completed residential work last year; 22% worked on at least one utility-scale project.
- 50% of 2020-listed contractors installed 100% of their 2019 solar projects in the state in which they’re headquartered.
- 73% of the 2020 Top Solar Contractors class has at least one NABCEP-certified installer on staff.
- 93% of 2020 Top Solar Contractors perform installation; 88% secure sales; 87% are involved with project development or design; 79% perform electrical work; and 35% offer financing.
- Social media is the most-preferred advertising outlet for Top Solar Contractors surveyed, followed by local event presence and traditional print media.
For more information on the annual Top Solar Contractors list, please read our FAQs.