The largest rooftop solar project in New York State was recently completed atop the Medline Industries distribution center in Montgomery. The 7.2-MW community solar project was officially completed in May 2023 by PowerFlex on the 1.3 million-ft2 site.
The over $8 million project was built with nearly $5 million in private investment. PowerFlex developed the project, which is now owned by Medline Industries. The New York State Energy Research and Development Authority (NYSERDA) provided over $3 million in project support through NY-Sun, the state’s signature initiative to advance the scale-up of solar while driving costs down and making solar energy more accessible to homes, businesses, and communities.
PowerFlex CEO Raphael Declercq said, “As the project developer, we are proud to have helped bring this record-breaking New York rooftop community solar project into reality. PowerFlex’s partnership with Medline over the years has enabled the installation of multiple solar projects across the country, and we commend their deep and ongoing commitment to sustainability.”
Medline Vice President of ESG Francesca Oliver said, “Medline is unwavering in its commitment to building an environmentally sustainable business by investing in green technologies. The installation of New York’s largest rooftop solar project at our Montgomery distribution center exemplifies our dedication to making healthcare more sustainable for providers and their patients in the state.”
Medline’s distribution center, which opened in August 2022, employs more than 700 people distributing products and devices to healthcare providers, such as hospitals, nursing homes, and ambulatory surgery centers. The facility will utilize 40% of the clean energy generated by the solar project, leaving 60% available for approximately 600 residents, who can subscribe to the system and receive credits on their electricity bill for an estimated 10% monthly savings. In exchange for a commitment to retain 344 and create 266 new jobs, Empire State Development awarded Medline up to $10 million in Excelsior Jobs Tax Credits.
Medline recently completed a 6.7-MW rooftop system on its distribution center in Massachusetts, also developed by PowerFlex.
News item from NY