Solar Power World, the solar industry’s leading business-to-business publication, today announced the release of its 2018 Top Solar Contractors list. The Top Solar Contractors list is the most recognized annual listing of solar contractors in the United States working in the utility, commercial and residential markets.
“Solar Power World is very excited about the 2018 class of Top Solar Contractors,” said Kelly Pickerel, editor in chief of Solar Power World. “Our 2017 list showed impressive installation numbers after 2016’s huge rush to meet ITC requirements, and many companies were hesitant to show unavoidable installation dips after last year’s high. We’re happy to feature a strong group of thriving U.S. solar installers on the 2018 Top Solar Contractors list. These companies truly are at the top of their markets.”
The U.S. solar market officially installed more than 15,000 MW of solar in 2016, doubling the capacity installed in 2015. Although installations in 2017 dropped to 10,608 MW, the total still represents 40% growth over 2015 numbers. That 5-GW drop did discourage many big solar names (First Solar, SunPower, Tesla, Vivint Solar) from applying to the 2018 Top Solar Contractors list. They did not want to broadcast their lower 2017 installation numbers on the list.
“The U.S. solar industry is on a rebound, having recorded 13% annual growth in the first quarter of 2018,” Pickerel said. “Based on our conversations with U.S. solar companies, we expect to see strong installation numbers throughout 2018 from many of the featured contractors on our 2018 Top Solar Contractors list.”
Companies on the Top Solar Contractors list are grouped and listed by specific service (developers, electrical subcontractors, EPCs, installation subcontractors, rooftop installers), markets (commercial, residential, utility) and states by 2017 installed capacity (in kWdc).
Here are some ways to interact with the 2018 Top Solar Contractors list:
- Go to the web-based 2018 Top Solar Contractors list
- Read all of our Top Contractor features from the magazine
Lists of contractors by market:
Lists of contractors by service:
- Top Solar Developers
- Top Solar EPCs
- Top Electrical Subcontractors
- Top Installation Subcontractors
- Top Rooftop Contractors
Lists of contractors by selected states:
- Top Arizona Solar Contractors
- Top California Solar Contractors
- Top Colorado Solar Contractors
- Top Florida Solar Contractors
- Top Massachusetts Solar Contractors
- Top New Jersey Solar Contractors
- Top New York Solar Contractors
- Top North Carolina Solar Contractors
- Top Oregon Solar Contractors
- Top Pennsylvania Solar Contractors
- Top Texas Solar Contractors
- Top Washington Solar Contractors
Other interesting facts about the 2018 Top Solar Contractors list:
- 91% of 2018-listed contractors stated they worked in the commercial market; 76% completed residential work last year; 35% worked on at least one utility-scale project.
- 61% of Top Solar Contractors added energy storage technology to solar projects in 2017, up 2% from last year.
- 54% of installers surveyed before May 31 said the 30% solar tariffs were already affecting their businesses.
- 71% of the contractors on the 2018 list have at least one employee with NABCEP certification.
- Half of the applicants (51%) use subcontractors in some fashion.
For more information on the annual Top Solar Contractors list, please read our FAQs.