Aurora Solar, a solar design software company, has created SmartRoof, a tool that allows anyone to accurately and easily model residential and commercial sites for solar projects. SmartRoof intelligently infers the internal structure of a roof after a few clicks, reducing solar design time and difficulty significantly.
- SmartRoof automatically infers the internal structure of any roof, requiring one to simply outline the perimeter of the roof. This yields a permit-ready 3D model within seconds.
- The drawing process is aided by snapping 90º angles and guidelines, so the model can be drawn accurately, regardless of skewed or low resolution imagery.
- SmartRoof allows solar designers to drag and drop dormers into the model and integrates them into their respective roof planes seamlessly.
- The remote site modeling tool enables designers to insert folds and intersect multiple roof structures, making modeling of complex roof structures significantly easier.
- A permit-ready 3D model can be created in Aurora in under a minute with SmartRoof.
- The site modeling process is simplified, reducing the barriers to entry for solar professionals to create reliable models.
- The resulting 3D model has clean edges, right-angled corners, and evenly tilted roof planes, giving designers and solar salespeople alike the ability to easily create permit-ready models.
Jeffrey Benson, senior manager at Blue Raven Solar, said, “The new design tool has literally cut our design time in half. Our designs are now significantly more accurate and better looking with perfect angles and evenly sized roof planes. Between the accuracy and speed gains with this tool, it saves us real money.”
Christopher Hopper, CEO of Aurora Solar, said, “We started Aurora with the goal of developing technology that would enable anyone to design solar easily and quickly, without sacrificing quality. An accurate roof model is foundational to the residential solar design process, so we set out to rethink the modeling process from the ground up. After over a year and a half of development, we’re proud to introduce SmartRoof: a novel way to model roofs that has the potential to revolutionize solar design.”
To see a video of the product, click here.
News item from Aurora Solar