Maryland solar contractors on the Solar Power World Top 250 Contractors list have installed a total of more than 90MW of U.S. solar. More than 20MW were installed in 2012, outranking Nevada and Massachusetts. Maryland-based companies on the Solar Power World Top 250 Contractors list comprise more than 280 employees.
Maryland Key Facts:
• 1,900 solar power jobs; 120 solar companies • Requiring the state’s electricity suppliers to procure at least 2% from solar resources by the year 2022 through its Renewable Portfolio Standard (RPS), Maryland is expected to deploy approximately 1,250 MW of solar PV capacity by 2022.
• Beginning in 2012, Maryland will require that systems must be connected with the distribution grid serving the state to satisfy compliance with the state’s solar objectives.
• Offers a corporate clean-energy production tax credit for wind and solar-thermal electric systems: $0.0085/kWh ($0.005/kWh for co-fired electricity).
• With 10,859 homes powered by solar energy, Maryland ranks 14th in the nation for number of solar-powered homes.
• In 2012, $205 million was invested in Maryland to install solar on homes and businesses. This represents a 74% increase over the previous year, and is expected to grow again this year.[250STATE STATE=”MD”]